Monday, March 26, 2012

Monday Devos

I've got something new I'm starting up on Mondays around here.  I've felt lead to do a weekly devotional, and I'm going to use Mondays just for that.  I can't think of a better way for everyone to start off their week, and I hope you agree!  :)  Please know that I have no seminary training :).  I'm just using scripture and trying my best to be transparent and use personal examples to help us all grow.  Let's get started.

"Do not love the world or anything of the world.  If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.  For everything in the world - the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes, and the boasting of what he has and does - comes not from the Father but from the world.  The world and its distress pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever."
1 John 2:15-17   

As most of you know, weekend before last I went on a women's retreat.  I'm telling you, it has been life changing.  Everything that was talked about that weekend spoke directly to me, and that was no mistake.  I don't believe in coincidence.  Since then, I have been determined to live radically.  Sold out for Jesus.  For the sake of my children's eternity.  For the sake of your eternity (and anyone else I might meet).  For my experience in eternity.  And for the complete joy only He can bring.

Before the retreat (literally that week) I remember very vividly having two separate conversations with friends.  One was about wanting a new car.  Oh believe me, I have excellent reasons.  For example, a push button door opener.  With two kids in hand, I can't think of a better reason for wanting a new vehicle.  Our's is not quite so fancy.  :)  The other more obvious reason would be gas mileage.  But really, I don't even know if that's been a legitimate reason or just an excuse.  The other conversation was about a stupid house.  Oh boy have I obsessed over this one over the last few years.  Our plan was to do the work necessary (nothing too fancy) to this house, live here for max 2 years, and then be on our way to our "forever" home.  HA!  5 years later...  God's kept us here for that time though.  I see now, if for no other reason than to teach me a very valuable lesson.  Contentment.  I found this adorable picture through a blog that I read.  It's how I'm feeling right about now.

small homes - 8x10" - customizable 

One illustration they used on the retreat that started this radical transformation in me is this one.  Man, how many of us have been living for this little spec of time we are here.  I know was, but I pray I never go back.  Living sold out for Jesus is so much more rewarding.  (If you are reading this, and you don't understand that, please, please give me a chance to speak with you!!)



Now, does that not give you a different perspective?  The things of this world really, really don't matter.  To think of all of the things Jesus did for us.  Nailed, naked to a cross for sins I have committed.  And I was worried about a bigger, better house.  Or a bigger better car.  Whoa.  What an eye opening experience this has been.  I don't want to raise my children to want bigger and better things of this world.  I want to raise them to want to see more people saved.  Christians, will you join us?  Think of the things that could happen if Christians were truly sold out to Jesus.  What a difference we could all make.

Are we going to fail.  Yep.  I already have.  To make a long story short, I had to drive my mother in law's car Saturday.  Oh, it drives so smooth.  Nothing at all like my truck Expedition.  By Saturday night I was wanting a new car again.  I'm thankful his mercies are new every day.

"If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own.  As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.  That is why the world hates you."
John 15:19

1 comment:

  1. Loved that video; thank you! We must be kindred spirits :) We both have baby boys with eye issues AND we obsess about our "small" houses. I've had a blog post rolling around in my mind for the past few days after I read a book called "90 Minutes in Heaven". The author (co-author, really) passed away in a car accident and was dead for an hour and a half. He remembers his time in Heaven. He came back to life and the main message throughout his book was that he feels one of the main reasons was so that he could give people hope about going to Heaven and convert people into Christians so they could accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior.....I also am no seminary student and wasn't a very good Sunday School student but I have some thoughts that have been pressing on my heart about what I read. If I don't stop now, I'll end up writing an entire post as a Comment on your blog :) But thank you for the good message and inspiration and, if you are so inclined, check out my blog (stewartsnippets.blogspot.com) in the next few days...

    Happy Vision!!!
    Sheri

    ReplyDelete