Thursday, March 15, 2012

Appointment Coming Up

Grant has an eye appointment coming up Tuesday.  Urg.  I don't know why I get so anxious (well, that's silly, there is a constant battle to fight blindness going on in our house!!!), but I do.  Glaucoma scares the daylights out of me.  The statistics are frightening with congenital cataract babies.  It seems like on a regular basis I read a fellow eye mom's blog to only see that their precious angel is now fighting glaucoma.  My thoughts and prayers go out to each one of them.


"Normal" moms don't get how scary this is.  "Normal" moms don't understand the pressure we are under to secure our child's sight.  "Normal" moms don't understand why it's scary to risk having another baby when you have a nearly 50% chance of going through this again.  It's not the end of the world.  Our children are going to have amazing lives, and I can't wait to see how it unfolds (in due time of course!  I don't want it happening too quickly!!)  With that being said, it truly can be heartbreaking.  I know people who have gone through worse.  I'm not trying to have a complete pity party here!  But I also know 99% of the people I know who have not had to watch their child suffer in a situation even remotely similar.


I was reading an eye mom's blog tonight.  What she said just spoke to me, and I thought I would share a little of it.

"Eye moms are the best.  We are strong and resilient.  We fight for our kids vision.  This war may be long and the battles rough - but we are going to see it through to the end.  I have to believe that....... That when she is 16 and has both eyes to see out of - that she will thank me.  I am going to do what is the very best for my daughter - even if it is hard, painful, heart-wrenching and difficult.  Cause that's what mom's do."


Maybe I'm thinking on all of this so much because we are coming up on our one year anniversary of hearing those terrifying words, and going through the even more terrifying surgeries.  I cannot believe it's been a year.  On the other hand, we have many days where I don't think about it so much because it has become a new normal.  I can remember when we were going through the initial shock I prayed for that.  A new normal.  God answered that prayer.  And tonight, I am very thankful.  He has brought our little guy a long way, and I know He is holding him in the palm of His hand.

5 comments:

  1. I hate the dread appointments bring. I want to know if we are needing drops as soon as possible, but that G word scares me to death. Austin has an appointment on Monday. I so badly want good news, but if it is bad, I wish I already knew, so that the G word couldn't hurt his chance at vision. Crazy, huh?

    Prayers for peace for you and a good eye pressure for Grant! (((Imagine a hug right now))) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glaucoma scares the bejeezus out of me! I am not going to do the patching, contact, drops, etc just to have my daughter lose her vision to glaucoma. Not on my watch!

    I hear you on God bringing the new normal. It is a nice feeling. But in the back of your mind are still the fears - and having an upcoming appointment seems to bring those fears to the surface. Praying that you get awesome news at the appointment! And congrats on a one year anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be praying for you. Must be "that time" again for all of us... Easton is headed back on Monday as well. Prayers, prayers, and lots of prayers for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers for you all! (I seem to be off schedule!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am having a great few hours while Elsa sleeps discovering all the members of the Mom's Eye Club!! Love your baby's glasses. What a CUTIE!! Glaucoma scares me too. We have been teetering on the edge...doing lots of drops and a few laser surgeries. I think I have been just going with the flow of all of this. Too busy or too distracted to dwell on it, but deep down the threat of more vision loss for Elsa really is hitting home. We go back in mid-April to see if the laser treatments have gotten the pressure in her "good" eye under control. Hope your appointment goes well. I have enjoyed reading through your blog today. :0)

    ReplyDelete