Monday, May 21, 2012

Because Sometimes A Mommy Needs To Vent!

It has been a hard month at the Peoples' household.  I will list what all we've been through, and I will talk in detail about a few.

-Jacob was officially diagnosed with asthma (to be fair this happened a little over a month ago, but it's still an adjustment).
-Grant had tubes.
-Grant failed his hearing test in his right ear before his tubes.  The doctor assured us it was nothing to be concerned about.  He should pass it right after his tubes.  He didn't.  This has been the fourth hearing test he has failed since birth.  Trusting and praying we have nothing to worry about.  We go back to the ENT in August for another test.
-Grant had hand foot mouth for over two weeks.
-Grant had a severe 24 hour stomach virus.
-Grant is struggling with patching BIG TIME.  His eye is no better.  Praying fiercely against the necessity of surgery.
-Grant got bit by my in laws dog.  If I wasn't busy consoling him, I assure you, the dog would be dead.
-Grant broke his leg.  Note to parents: Don't ride down the slide with your children.  My mom was going down the slide with him (like I have been doing for the past three years!), and he started screaming!  We couldn't get him to calm down.  We were in Florida so we went to the Pediatrician there.  Went to have an xray, and they didn't see a brake.  He told us to treat it like a sprain, and if by Wednesday (this was last Wednesday) he wasn't better to head to the doctor here at home.  Wednesday we called and our Pediatrician called the Ped Ortho clinic, and he went Thursday.  The doctor was very short, told us it was broke, even though it wasn't showing up - he said to trust him it would show up as it started to heal.  Supposedly it's common in toddler fractures to not show a brake until they see the callus on the bone from it healing.  Insert boot.


(See our new way of patching?  Take out that lens.  He's blind without his lenses, so this works the same for us.)
-Friday night we were at the after hours clinic.  Grant had been running a fever since Wed.  The Ped told us to call the ortho doc.  The ortho doc finally told us we needed to see a Pediatrician.  After that visit, we left with the diagnoses of ear infection and severely impacted!  His tummy xray was filled with poop!
-Now that brings us to the present.  They told us to treat the boot like a cast (they were trying to prevent casting him).  We were suppose to call this morning with a report.  So, that's what I did.  We've had to readjust this boot multiple times a day, and they said it was doing no good.  We were on our way to get a cast that would go up to his hip.  The doctor took one look at his heel and hesitated.  This boot really did a number.  (These were the best pictures I could get.)




She was afraid that if we put a cast on it, it would cause an open wound to his heel.  So, another xray to make sure.  She said it takes 7-10 days for the callus to show on the bone.  You know what?  She came back in, and told us she didn't think it was broken.  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I had extreme emotions.  I was soooooooooooo thrilled.  Then again, I was kind of mad for him having to wear that stupid boot that caused so much damage for nothing!!!  We go back Friday for one more xray, and then hopefully we will be done with this.
-When I was getting Grant in his stroller, I saw a rash on his back (that had showed up since we left the house!) that looked much like this.



Off to the Pediatrician we went.  Now he has Roseola Virus.  Seriously, all I could do was laugh.  I've already cried too much.

4 comments:

  1. Poor babies ... poor mommy. Nothing harder than seeing your baby hurting. ((((Hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good vent! You deserved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vent away! It always seems that when it rains, it pours. Poor Grant - he must be miserable. Praying he starts feeling better soon and that you get good reports on his eyes and ears!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow! When it rains, it pours, that's for sure. And there's nothing better after a big rainstorm than a beautiful rainbow - praying your rainbow comes out soon!

    ReplyDelete