Wayne, the boys and I were in our local grocery store doing our bimonthly grocery shopping trip. (This is something I typically do alone, and for the life of me I can't remember why we were doing it on the weekend.) As I am looking at the meats, Wayne and the boys are way ahead of me (where Wayne is holding Grant up on his shoulder because he was extremely fussy), and a boy about 11 or 12 notices Grant. He starts laughing hysterically. He runs to his mom who was right behind me, gets her attention, points to MY baby and says, "Look Mama, he looks just like Chuckie!" Some of you Einsteins out there might know who he was talking about. Let me show you what came to my mind.
Needless to say, the mother bear came out in me. Wayne noticed immediately something was wrong. I didn't know whether to scream or cry. So, I finally said to Wayne, "I'm really having to bite my tongue right now." At which he replied, "Come on Crystal. Get it together." Well I didn't say anything to the boy, but every time I passed him in the grocery store I gave him a terrible look. I mean, wouldn't you? How dare he compare my beautiful baby boy to something so hideous!
For the next several days I shared the story with family and a few friends, and they were all just as appalled as I was! Any time we went in public for days I felt like I was hovering over Grant, protecting him from all the vulchers out there!
The following Tuesday evening we were out with my in laws and my sister to eat when a glorious light bulb went off in Wayne's head. Out of nowhere, he asks if I remembered the cartoon "Rugrats." Completely unaware as to where he was going with this, I listened. Well, he reminded me of this guy.
Oh dear.
I really am a jerk.
I could not believe what I had thought. Chuckie the rugrat isn't exactly adorable, but his glasses are a lot like Grant's. And he definitely looks more like Grant than Chuckie the doll does.
I realized at that moment something very priceless to me. I didn't need to protect Grant from people looking and asking a million questions because, you see, everyone else really does think he is just as adorable as I do. And the glasses make him even more so!
That Saturday, not in a hospital or doctor's office like my son's, but in the middle of Piggly Wiggly, this mama's sight was restored. In an entirely different way, but almost as significant as our sons for this journey we are on.
So, to the little fella in Piggly Wiggly, I am deeply sorry. I promise to never look at you that way again. The devil surely did come out of this Christian lady that day!




=) I've only now found your blog, Crystal, and just love your heart. And so you know, Tim just walked past the computer, saw Grant's photo, and said, "How cute! Whose baby is he?" Yes, everyone does think he's as adorable as you do!
ReplyDeleteHe is adorable! Absolutely adorable. period. I had an experience similar to that with a 8 or 9 year old boy about my little guy when he was wearing a patch. He said "That baby is soooo weird." I knew the boy and his mom didn't say anything. I was annoyed. The adults that say rude things are worse though.
ReplyDelete