It is so unreal that this is real. It will be a little while until this news becomes public, so I thought I would do a series of posts of where we are in this moment. Once the news is public, we can go back and post these so you'll get an idea of how we got to where we are.
First, I'll give you a little history.
When I was fifteen, we had missionaries in our church that would come back and give updates on what they were up to. I just clicked with the wife. She had a passionate heart for The Lord, and I knew I wanted to be more like her. I'll never forget one evening I spent with her. We went to grab ice cream, and somehow our conversations lead to orphans across the world. She started telling me about China. The things she was telling me are common knowledge now, but it was all new to me then. She explained to me the laws in China that limit the number of children a family can have, and that most families favored the boys. Therefore, these pitiful orphanages were slammed full of sweet baby girls. My heart was broken. And I never forgot it.
Since then, I've always declared that I would go and get a baby girl from China one day. My naive little self didn't think too much about the fact that I would have a husband one day, and this was something he had to be on board with too. I just knew from that day forward that I had a calling to do something. I had to do something.
Fast forward nearly ten years when Wayne and I are planning to marry. He had listened to my spill about the Chinese babies, but I had to let him know that I was serious about how I felt. I made sure he knew that it wasn't a "make it or break it" thing, but I ultimately wanted to let him know where my heart was. His response? "If we can't have children of our own, we will definitely consider it."
Five months after getting married, we were pregnant with Jacob.
There goes China, or so we thought. Honestly, at that point, I had a precious baby boy filling my thoughts.
.......................to be continued


No comments:
Post a Comment