Has it been
a year? A year since I told you about
our precious Grant? My goodness, how
time flies!
A lot has
happened in the last year. Here’s a
little bit of it:
Grant’s left
eye started turning in, and we started patching. It started at two hours a day, and now we are
at four. This has truly been a
battle. Until about a month ago, he
cried almost the entire time he was patched.
At our last visit, we learned that he has finally started using that
eye! I have been telling anyone and
everyone who would listen! It makes all
those hours worth it, and has definitely been an answer to prayer!
I’ve thought
a lot about genetics. According to our
PO, Unilateral Congenital Cataracts (a cataract in one eye present at birth)
are almost always not genetic; Bilateral Congenital Cataracts (cataracts in
both eyes present at birth) almost always are.
According to our PO, the 50/50
statistic is so far proven in our family.
I’ve made a
complete 180 with our Optician. I can
remember the first day we went into her office like it was yesterday. It didn’t matter who was sitting behind that
desk, I didn’t like what they were telling me or showing me, and I didn’t want
to be there. Today, we refer to her as
“Granny Sue,” and she has truly become a dear friend. I have called her crying more than once. J
I’ve had to
tell Grant’s story 1,978,572 times. Most
days I’m OK with it, but there are times you just want to run in the store to
get some milk without having to give the whole spill. I will say this. We aren’t being stopped near as much as we
use to. I think everyone locally has
already asked. J
You want to
know the funny thing? Through it all,
there are some days I don’t think about cataracts. A year ago I would have never believed
that. On the one side, yes, it’s a
constant fight for our son’s vision, but for someone looking in we’re just a
normal family who carries glasses in our diaper bag!
He is
definitely doing well. We’ve even seen
him reach up and adjust his glasses several times lately. It might just be the cutest thing.
We still
have quite the road ahead of us, but we’re so thankful the Lord has brought us
this far! It’s a difficult road to
travel, not one we would have chosen. But
one thing is for sure, being on this side looking back is a whole lot easier
than last year trying to look forward.




Love these thoughts! The boys look beautiful.
ReplyDeleteThis is all so encouraging to hear!
ReplyDeleteInspiring! I love that there are days you don't think about his cataracts. And he is just the cutest thing ever!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing--so great to hear he is using his eye after all your family's hard work patching four hours a day. He looks so happy and cute in his glasses!!! --Kristin
ReplyDelete