When we got there, I was pleasantly surprised to see our pastor's wife was going to be our pre-op nurse! Seeing a familiar face helped so much! Plus, she worked extra hard to get us back as soon as possible. Thank you Lorrie! :)
Pretty much if you read about Surgery #1, this was the same exact war, different battle. (We would soon experience sweet VICTORY!) We were just as thrilled to have our baby in our arms again! Just FYI, Wayne and I debated the entire surgery who would hold him first (it was a FRIENDLY debate!), and the nurse put him in MY arms when she walked in. I did share though! :)
I don't think I mentioned Jacob's reaction with the first surgery before. As we walked out holding Grant he said, "AH! MY GANT!" pause. "Gant got a booboo????" He was so concerned about his baby brother when he saw that patch on his face. This time he was so use to the patches that he just ran to us and gave us a hug.
He was a bit more fussy this go around, and we were all the more anxious for the next day to get here. They told us before that if his prescription was +20, they had some sample glasses we could borrow until his came in - 2 WEEKS LATER! The thought of going another two weeks made me ache. I was hoping and praying my sweet baby boy could see that day.
If you are taking the time to read this right now, I want to ask you to take 2 extra seconds to go here. It's a visual simulator that will give you an IDEA of what Grant can (or I should say cannot) see. It will only go up to +9. Please understand that's not half as bad as Grant's prescription. His is +22. This poor baby literally can't see a thing. I saw this the night before his second surgery, and boy did it open my eyes! I couldn't wait to get glasses on his sweet face!
When we went back Thursday to get his patch off I noticed this exam took longer, and of course the mom in me freaked. When he finished up he told us both eyes were about the same at +22, and looked great. I told him about the sample pair they had (he was floored that they took two weeks to come in), and he was all for us using them.
This, my friends, is our victory. This video is my precious baby boy seeing for the first time. It ranks up there with the happiest days of my life, right along with our wedding day and the birth of our boys. This day is etched in my memory for forever. I'm so thankful we have a video to watch as many times as we want. It makes me cry every time I see it. Tears of joy that is.
How incredible is that? Dr. Metz joined the party for a minute, and I did hug his neck again. He is a wonderful man, and we will be forever grateful. I was so worried about the glasses for the longest time, and seeing him see took that away. Plus, I think he's even more adorable with them on! We are so richly blessed and thankful. I could shout from the rooftops! Thank you, thank you, thank you LORD! And thank you to all who have been praying for us. We have several years before we have to face the OR again.
I'm going now to introduce my little boy to many things he has yet to see...as soon as he wakes up from his nap! In the last 24 hours he has cooed and smiled more than ever! Dr. Metz told us to live on as normal. His eyes would heal from surgery fine. The glasses protect them during the day, and a patch does while he sleeps. The only difference between us and other parents of infants is we have glasses (and everything that goes with it) in our diaper bag!



No comments:
Post a Comment