"When you satisfy the needs of the oppressed, your night will become like the noonday."
Isaiah 58:10
God wired me a little different. When it comes to people who are living in poverty, I physically hurt for them. This goes back to when I was a kid. My dad says often that he couldn't pass a homeless person without me crying hysterically asking him to go get them some food. And he always did.
As I got older, I went on several mission trips to Mexico and one to Dominican Republic. I was face to face with "the least of these." My heart ached. In Mexico we would build these one room houses to replace the cardboard boxes these precious people were living in.
The kids would always run up to us, and they would want to look and see what was in our bags. They would ask you for anything, and I would give them anything I could. One little boy who couldn't have been older than three asked if he could have my rain suit. Since I was on my third trip to Mexico at the time, and we had never seen rain on our trips, I gladly gave it to him. I kid you not, later that afternoon it started pouring rain. Everyone else had their suits on working, and I was just dripping. A friend of mine saw the little boy running down the dirt road in the rain with his new rain suit that was way too big on with the biggest smile on his face. I would get soaked every day for that.
The passion for the oppressed has never died in me. Many of you know we are adopting a little girl from China. Throughout this process, I wanted to do more. I knew I needed to do more, but I wasn't quite sure of what that would be. Wayne and I have talked about many things, but there was never one solid thing we felt The Lord saying to do right now. Right now we are working on getting our daughter home.
I get lost in blog land occasionally. Especially in adoption blogs. I came across one one day, and I learned about a company called Noonday Collection. The more I read and the more I researched, the more I fell in love with this company and what it stood for. It exists to raise people out of poverty all over the world, and to help with the orphan crisis. The number one reason for orphans is poverty, not the death of parents. You help with poverty, you help with the orphan crisis. It's a win / win in my book.
On top of Noonday Collection being GORGEOUS (seriously, I have never loved jewelry and accessories this much!), it is making a HUGE impact. Through ambassadors (like myself) creating a marketplace for the artisans, people all over the world are being raised out of poverty. It's incredible.
Take Caleb, one of our artisans in Uganda...
Here are a few of the items he and the artisans there make.
Some of my absolute favorites of Noonday are these statement necklaces made by our Ugandan artisans like Caleb and Doreen.
Pretty incredible huh? And all we have to do is buy gorgeous accessories like these.
I'm going to do a little series introducing you to some of our artisans. I started with Uganda today. I think India might be next. I am in love, y'all.










No comments:
Post a Comment