Friday, November 30, 2012

Contentment - Raw

I may be the only person reading this who struggles with contentment.  If so, writing this can just be therapy for myself.  :)  If not, continue reading.  (Because this is something I've always struggled with, I'm pretty sure this is not my first post about it...)


Like I just said, I've always struggled with being content.  In the moments I have found true contentment, I was truly at the most joyful!  You would think after all of these years I would have figured that out and get rid of this heart of discontentment!!


I've heard it said many, many times that there are countless others that would be happy with less than what you have.  You know the stuff you complain about.  Truth be told, you are probably at a place where you always dreamed of being if you are like myself.  Most girls dream of getting married, then marriage isn't all they want, they want a baby!  Then it's another baby.  Then it's a bigger house.  And a bigger car.  And maybe another baby.  And why not throw in some more money???  Anybody ever felt the same?


In many ways, life has been absolutely wonderful to me.  I have a husband that I couldn't thank the Lord enough for, and two precious little boys.  They truly hold my heart in their hands.  Shouldn't that be enough?  Absolutely!


So, if we are in this same cookie cutter house, driving the same cars ten years from now but have each other....that HAS TO BE OK.  It's more than OK.  It, in reality, would be wonderful.  I would have the three most important things to me.



And furthermore, what the Lord plans for our family is just that.  What He plans for our family.  Whether we have two children or 15.  It's all in His magnificent plan.  He has done what was best for us all along, and I know He will continue to do so.  No matter how many children my friends have, or their friends have .... my life and their's is not the same.



Truth be told, the main thing I seem most discontent about is our home.  Don't get me wrong.  I love this house.  It has so many precious memories in it.  Wayne actually bought it for me before we were even engaged so I could live closer to him - true story.  (I love that man!)  We brought our precious babies home here.  My only complaint is that it's small.  I'm working on getting more organized to help fix my space anxiety issues.  :)


A couple of the blogs that I love have posted on this same issue, and it's truly worth the read.  I got a couple of the sayings on here that are from this post.  And here are some of my favorite words from another blog.  Just thought I would share while I'm on the subject....

"My next house is going to be beautiful.  It might not be bigger but, my next house is the one I’ll really make into a home.  This house we are in now is just a holding room for us until we get to our next house. It’s ok that it doesn’t represent our family.  I’m renting, it’s a waste to make it pretty right now.  I don’t know how long we’ll be here.  I long to have a much loved haven for my family but, I don’t have the funds and those pictures in the magazines assure me that it’s impossible to even attempt to make a change where I am.  Yeah, I’m gonna love my next house. You’ll see.
How many of those lines have you repeated to yourself?  I’ve said them all.  And then I finally realized that there might not be a next house.
Love where you are.  Beautify where you are. Your next house will be great too but, wherever you are right now, today, has enormous potential.
Compared to your last house, this IS your next house."
-The Nester

One last thing.  If the only thing I ever received on this Earth was salvation, that is more than I ever deserved.  So thankful for my Lord and Savior!  I'm striving to be more like 1Timothy 6:6 - "But godliness with contentment is great gain...."

Here's to a wonderful start to the Christmas season where we will remember the reason for the season and not all the "stuff" involved!

4 comments:

  1. Look at those two gorgeous boys..you are truly truly blessed. Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be hard to stay in a place of contentment. Maybe writing it out will help. I try to walk a fine line between "dreaming and planning" and "feeling bad about what I have." I don't "dream" about winning the lottery because it makes me feel like I don't have all the things I want. I try to "plan" for the future, but not so rigidly that I am disappointed and not enjoying the everyday moments. Maybe that isn't the best way, but it seems to help me. Thanks for sharing - And your boys are gorgeous! (and you are such a talented photographer)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank y'all. I am certainly blessed far more than I deserve. By the way, I'm thinking of doing a photography series. I've had several friends ask me to teach them the basics, and that would be the simplest way to teach them all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not the only one! I have a wonderful husband and two sweet little girls and sometimes I get really frustrated with my two bedroom house when I should be thankful that we have a home and a nice one at that... even if it is smaller than I'd like. I think I need to take a missions trip to a third world country. It would probably really help my outlook and contentedness.

    Thanks for this post! It was a good reminder to me to be thankful for what I've got :)

    ReplyDelete